Below is a copy of my GDPR information and consent form. A copy of which will be given to clients and their consent will be sought before embarking on the counselling process.
I would like to reassure clients that come to Woodlands that their privacy is taken very seriously and your data is handled sensitively and within the lawful guidelines. For your protection I am registered with the ICO (information comissioners office) and you are entitled to go to them with any comlplaints however if you have any concerns or queries then in the first instance please do get in contact and I hope I can help.
The 2018 General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) is a new UK law concerned with protecting the personal information about you that I need to collect, store or share in order to offer professional counselling services at Woodlands Counselling. Catherine Nicholas is the Data Controller and the regulations require me to inform you of your rights and to gain your informed consent.
- To be informed of what information I hold
- To see the information I hold about you
- To rectify any inaccurate or incomplete personal information
- To withdraw consent to me using your personal information
- To request your personal information be erased
- To complain to the ICO (information comissioners office) www.ico.org.uk
THE PERSONAL INFORMATION I COLLECT
- Date of Birth
- Telephone Numbers
- Email address
- Brief outline of mental health history
- Relevant medical conditions (eg chronic illness etc)
- Relevant prescribed medications (ie mood altering anti-depressants)
- Dates of attendance
- Brief session notes
THE DOCUMENTS I STORE
- GDPR Agreement
- Signed Contract/Agreement
- Brief Session Notes
- Contact name & telephone
- Emails and Texts
HOW THIS INFORMATION IS STORED
- Iphone: I have a confidential business only phone which is secured by a pin that only I know. I will store your contact information such as name and telephone number, call logs and texts.
- Email: Your email address and any messages will automatically be stored in my apple icloud email account. This is password protected.
- Website: My website provider Therapy WebGenie collects and stores general information such as IP address, country and a tally of visitor numbers. This information is not supplied to me with any personal names or street addresses but is there to provide me with generalised statistics on website traffic. This information is password protected.
- Practice Managment Software: This software stores notes and accounting data and is password protected.
- Paper: I am currently in process from swapping from paper records to online and I still hold paper records for older clients.
HOW YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION IS SHARED OR PROCESSED.
SHARING INFORMATION TO HELP THE ETHICAL PROCESS IN COUNSELLING SUPERVISION
As a counsellor in private practice registered with the BACP (British Association of Counselling and Psychotherapy) I am ethically required to seek private supervision for client and counsellor safety. Not every supervision session is used for discussion of client issues but if there is any discussion about you personally then your anonymity is considered and my supervisor will only be told your first name.
SHARING INFORMATION IN EXCEPTIONAL CIRCUMSTANCES - EMERGENCIES
SHARING INFORMATION IN EXCEPTIONAL CIRCUMSTANCES - MY THERAPY WILL
In the event of my death or serious illness I have nominated a local professional colleague to take charge of my data. This is to allow my colleague to inform you and support you on to next steps if required/necessary.
DELETING PERSONAL INFORMATION
I will store information for up to one year past the end of our working together. This is so that I have a reference of our work in situations such as you returning to counselling in the near future. After this time has passed I will shred/delete the information.
If you consent to your information being used in this way for the purpose of receiving counselling then please sign the printed copy of this statement you should receive in the first or second session.